返回列表 发帖
Columbia wants to test you on them. I don't think anyone will necessarily say, CFA means you dont have to do XYZ.

Most b schools seem to have a few core courses for the poets and oil painters they let in that introduce them to all the stuff we would already know.

naturallight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I think the CFA doesn't count for much in the
> admissions process, but it is helpful once you're
> in school. You mihgt be able to get waivers from
> some of the core accounting and finance, and in
> general those finance/investing classes should be
> a breeze.

Not every school will let you out of core classes. I had CPA's in my core accounting class.

1. Wendy is right. It takes an intensive one year to prepare for application process: GMAT (and repeat it if not good enough), (TOEFL if you are a foreigner), writing the essay, getting the recommendations, scheduling interviews, learning about the schools, finding the money, submitting the forms before the deadlines... so if you have not done any of this, you are too late. Not sure, you want to do this at the same time as your CFA program.

2. Agree with eric. If you have not done a lot of those extracir/volunteering before, it is not a good time to start now, given the time constraints and the school can see it as a desperate effort to apply, not a genuine desire/reflection of leadership talent. Try to focus on why the school should choose you, out of all the other applicants, to make the school experience richer for other students (ref my posting on the other thread).

3. Passing the waiver test is really easy. I brushed up my books for a week and passed 3 of them (if I remember correctly). It is however not always wise to do so. The first year is normally known as the hell year. The school purposely tries to destroy you by overloading you with reading. They know all the incoming students have achieved a lot before coming to the program, so their confidence/cockiness must be humiliated before learning/teamwork can take place. They use the second year to rebuild the confidence so that the students graduating with their confidence fortified. NB: This is not sth I speculate, this is a conscious effort that they talk about in the OB (Organizational Behavior) class.
Therefore, a lot of business undergrad/CPA purposely NOT take the waiver so that they can coast a few classes and gain some breathing room (wisely). If you succeed the waiver you have to take second year selectives which can be very demanding on time.

ChickenTikka Wrote:
> Natural Light is right about the waivers.
>
> Columbia told me they will let you test out of
> their core curriculum classes on accounting and
> what not.

that's correct. i know people that exempted out of the vast majority of the core and were able to take electives. if you have a cfa charter, you should have enough knowledge to place out of corporate finance, accounting and statistics. it might not be wise to place out of everything though because you won't get to know your section or learning teammates as well.

naturallight Wrote:
> I would recommend pulling all of this year's essay
> questions from the schools you want to attend and
> thinking about how you would answer each one. If
> you struggle with a particular question (say one
> about leadership), then you can work on addressing
> that issue.
>
> I think the CFA doesn't count for much in the
> admissions process, but it is helpful once you're
> in school. You mihgt be able to get waivers from
> some of the core accounting and finance, and in
> general those finance/investing classes should be
> a breeze.

having the charter as opposed to just passing one or two levels may have some value if your grades and/or scores are borderline as it is one more indicator of your ability to handle the mba courseload. i think it can also be helpful in the recruiting process as it's one way to differentiate yourself especially for finance jobs.

返回列表