返回列表 发帖

tracking error Q

“If we reduce the tracking error of the manager with the highest active risk, this is
very likely to reduce the plan-wide active risk of the overall portfolio.”

T/F?

are there any managers weights in portfolio also given?

“If we reduce the tracking error of the manager with the highest active risk, this is
very likely to reduce the plan-wide active risk of the overall portfolio.”

Overall active risk would remain same. F

Quick calc to prove:
active risk is a standard deviation so:
Mgr 1 Risk = 2%
Mgr 2 Risk = 1.5%
50/50 weight
so
[.5^2*.02^2+.5^2*.015^2]^1/2 = 1.25%
You can take out Manager 1 and risk actually increases becuase active risk is uncorrellated.

True I guess

T .
If active returns are un-correlated  then total tracking risk is nothing but the root mean squared weighted tracking risk of all managers. If any component of the RMS weighted values is reduced , the value itself reduces. If there are correlations present then this is not straightforward.

answer pelase

you reduce active risk for one manager - you are also going to reduce the active return overall.
and as a result the active risk movement direction would not be known clearly.
I think it is FALSE.

stingreye wrote:
Quick calc to prove:
active risk is a standard deviation so:
Mgr 1 Risk = 2%
Mgr 2 Risk = 1.5%
50/50 weight
so
[.5^2*.02^2+.5^2*.015^2]^1/2 = 1.25%
You can take out Manager 1 and risk actually increases becuase active risk is uncorrellated.
Your updated equation would be [.5^2*.00^2+.5^2*.015^2]^1/2 = [.5^2*.015^2]^1/2 = .75% so the active management did decrease.

Fin , truong and serious are  correct .
The ans. is True.
The q does not talk about active return , but the only way one can reduce tracking risk is by cutting  active return . In any case that will reduce the overall portfolio tracking risk.
I can’t think of any scenario where the “highest tracking risk manager” even matters .
All that is important is that the weights ( allocations ) are unchanged and the active returns are un-correlated.

返回列表