上一主题:请教前辈,CFA对你找工作的帮助有多大?
下一主题:ABS债券衍生品问题
返回列表 发帖

[学习群] [分享] CFA考试学习心得分享(level 3)(面向CFA考友征文)

为我们的CFA新考友以及二、三级考友有个有更好的学习和考试方法,特面向CFA考友征文,希望通过一、二、三级CFA考友积极分享自己的学习考试心得,使对我们的新考友有借鉴和参考价值,CFAspace网代表全体考友表示感谢!

[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-27 22:56:45编辑过]

通过三级的感想

早上还没有到单位,就收到北京同事的短消息,cfa成绩出来了,我的二级好像过了。我的心也怦怦的跳动,从8月初以来每天上班前和下班前我都会下意识的检查一下网站。主要原因是三级考试下来感觉很差,而且当时5月底全国同等学历硕士学位两门统考占用了我宝贵的10天时间(成绩已经出来,都过了),真的没有勇气明年再去考一遍了。

登上熟悉的网站,level III: pass,奇怪,真的不敢相信自己的眼睛,看了一遍又一遍,我的单项成绩都很差,真的幸运能通过。奇怪,现在格式都改了,以前通过一年和二级都要祝贺一下,现在三级都不说了,看来通过人太多了,开始贬值了。

在单位里,不能大喊来发泄自己的情绪,两年半三次准备考试的情形再次在我脑海中浮现,200311月过1级,20046月过2级,20056月过三级,每次复习时间都是三个月,除了上班、吃饭,每天都是大量的时间,双休日时间更是看书12小时,看得都要吐出了。

现在终于过了,然而却没有想象中的那么开心,也许是拖的时间太长了。通过了,并不代表什么,只是一张成绩而以,并不意味着传说中的百万含金量,关键还是看个人能力和实际工作经验。幸运的是,我的工作还是和cfa比较接近的,我在一家银行工作,开始时外汇交易员,现在是美国国债交易员。的确从考试中学到了很多知识,同时也再次唤醒了自己久违的拼搏意识。

爱拼就会赢!

祝福所有通过的考生,同时也祝福那些不幸落马的,只要心中有希望,就有机会成功,而且通过不通过带有一定的运气成分,何况通过在某种程度上也并不能说明什么。真心希望这种考试泡沫少一点,千万别为了考试而去考试,否则只是白白浪费了青春和金钱。

转帖一篇三级备考心得
下面是国外某论坛上的一篇关于三级备考的心得,转贴过来供考友们参考,大家见仁见智吧。

Author: cat060
Date: Tuesday, August 23 @ 5:57 pm

Folks,

I just finished the CFA program by passing L3. I started the CFA journey by appearing for L1 in June 2003. I want to share my strategy for L3 preparation and hence this post. I will say that the 2005 L3 exam was very weird. I cannot describe it any better. Only people who have experienced the exam can understand what we underwent on June 4 esp in the afternoon. Nothing can prepare a candidate for badly constructed questions, poor writing skills on part of the people who write the questions or questions that border on the ridiculous. I believe that there are 2 major types of exams:

1. The first type tests a candidate's diligence. This type of exam is usually long but the problems are predictable, especially for the well prepared candidate. The CFA exam as advertised is this type of exam. If you are not diligent you will most likely fail.

2. The second type of exam tests a candidate's intelligence and application skill. This type of exam has unique type of problems that one cannot find in a textbook and a candidate has to apply his/her knowledge to be successful.

It is difficult to categorize the afternoon section of 2005 L3 into either type although it was meant to be the Type 2 exam. The morning session was a Type 1 exam although nobody on this planet is sure of what a correct answer to a PM question is except the person who wrote the answer key.

With this background in mind, I found the following things important for L3 preparation:

A. The sooner you forget the L2 experience, the better. The L3 exam is completely and diametrically opposite to the L2 exam. People with a quantitative bent of mind should especially be on their guard because the L3 exam is completely qualitative. So if you were super successful on the L2 exam, savor the success and move on. If you prepare for L3 in the same fashion you prepared for L2, you will fail.

B. If you believe that L3 is easier than L1 and L2 then you have already committed yourself to failing. The L3 material is deceptively simple. When you start thumbing thru the books and notes you cannot help feeling that the curriculum is a piece of cake. The problem is that CFAI takes this very straightforward material and comes up with an exam where you are not able to decipher what is being asked and what the right answer can be. Unlike an equity valuation question where the answer reduces to a single number, the PM questions can have at least a hundred different answers that can be backed by rationale but the trick is to get to the answer that CFAI wants.

C. 36 points on the L3 exam are devoted to Ethics which has been traditionally covered in the afternoon MC format. These 36 points are vital considering the fact that one had to guess on almost all other questions of the 2005 L3 MC. Yes, CFAI asks ridiculous minutae in the Ethics section but this minutae can be studied, memorized and converted into a >70% score on Ethics. Believe me, you will need every point in Ethics if the 2006 L3 exam is similar to the 2005 one. *Please* buy the ethics book and read it as many times as possible. It is easy to crib about CFAI asking minutae but it is your career and money on the line. CFAI has already made its profit when you signed up for the exam.

On a personal note, I did not study Ethics properly for the L3 exam. I thought i had gone through the book at least 3 times for L1 and L2, so why should i spend time on the same crap again. On exam day i got a 51-70 % score on Ethics. I relied on guesswork and was unable to nail the Ethics section. Reading and memorizing are a key to ethics and can help you pass the exam. Don't waste time reading Schweser or Stalla notes for ethics.

D. At least 50% of the exam is PM. There is no guarantee that you will be able to write the answer that CFAI wants. Most people get partial credit in PM by getting portions of the question right. The key to do OK on PM is to read the CFA candidate readings on PM and practise the actual CFA exam PM questions. Attempt the questions after reading the material. Even if you are not sure what the answer is, write something down and then compare it to the answer. Try to follow the thought and reasoning process outlined in the guideline answer. Repeated practice will make you more comfortable. Do NOT ignore the PM material in the International investments book by Solnik

E. Rest of the Exam: Quant, Fixed Income, Derivatives, Economics, Global Equity, Alternative Assets, Risk Management and GIPS.

For Fixed Income, read Fabozzi and do the back of the book problems and the worked out examples. I went thru the Fabozzi book thrice before the exam and got a >70% score on FI. The L3 book is thin and the material is easily understood. SS6 and SS7 are covered if one concentrates on the Fabozzi readings.

For Quant: practice practice practice. Get a good testing software and use it to the maximum. Spend 2 - 3 weeks on quant.

The Economics question in 2005 appeared in the morning and it was very straightforward. Anybody who had opened the economics material and studied it properly was guaranteed a good score. I would recommend a textbook + Schweser approach for Economics as some of the readings are long (shiller and Seigel) and Schweser does a good job in condensing them.

Derivatives: I used the Chance & Fabozzi book exclusively. Solved all the problems at least twice and reviewed the material at least 3 times. My score in Derivatives for L3 was in the <50% range. I used the same technique on the 2004 L2 exam and scored >70% on all derivatives material. So this gives you an idea of the MC questions on the 2005 L3. One thing needs to be noted for derivatives. There is a ton of material to be studied (if you wish to study it all). Easily the largest section after PM. Start early on derivatives. You will need the time. I spent at least 4 weeks on it.

Alternative Assets. I believe this might have been my only perfect score in the afternoon session. The alternative asset question related to the real estate material. One should know all the calculations. I practiced calculating CFAT, ERAT etc multiple times and reviewed them before the exam. Schweser had good examples and i did a lot of practice questions. Due to the nature of the candidate readings, i would recommend using a combination of Schweser and candidate readings. Practice is essential here.

Global Equity: The material was easy. Schweser does an OK job. The only SS where you get some breathing room.

Risk Management: Read the chance book once. Also used Schweser for notes and question practice. the material is easy, though some of it requires memorization. Making notes of your own is a good idea. Also know how to do the basic calculations even if the LOS does not ask you to.

GIPS: I nailed GIPS. I read the GIPS workbook twice, went thru Schweser twice. I did all the Schweser and GIPS workbook questions. GIPS is another section where CFAI loves to ask minutae. A little time spent here would net you another 12-24 points depending on the weightage given to GIPS on the exam. Devote at least 2 weeks to GIPS. Once during the normal course of study and then once before the exam as a refresher. GIPS can help you pass. Know how to calculate returns using different methods even if the LOS does not ask for it. It is better to be on your guard on sections that you can score a 100%

The order of preparation I used was: Fixed Income (SS6, 7), Derivatives(12, 13), Global Equity(5, 18), Economics(4), GIPS(17), PM(9,10,11,14), Alternative Assets (8) Risk Management(15), Quant(3) and Ethics(1,2). I am not recommending this order. I read FI first because i just had to read one book to get SS6 and 7 out of the way and i liked that. Derivatives followed for the same reason and for the sheer quantity of material. Global Equity and Economics were next because i had exhausted myself after Fixed Income and Derivatives and this gave me some breathing room. I followed this with GIPS as a warm up to PM. After completing PM, i read Alternative assets simply because i do not like the subject and i knew that if i did not read it early enough, i would not do justice to it. I then moved to Risk Management which is unfortunately (for me) entirely qualitative in the CFA curriculum. I followed this by Quant since i am mathematically inclined and i devoted only a day or two to ethics which i regretted on exam day. The order of preparation should always be a function of knowledge in the area and the volume of material to be covered.

Materials used for preparation: CFAI books, Schweser notes and Schweser Pro

Started preparation: December 2004. Approximately 300 hrs of study.

# of Mocks attempted: 0 (had no time left after reviewing)

To sum it all: The L3 exam was the toughest out of all 3 levels. After the afternoon session, I was not sure whether i would pass or not. I was so depressed that i did not visit this board until August 2005. I simply did not discuss the exam with anybody because i knew it would make me feel worse.

Anyways, I would like to wish everybody appearing for the 2006 L3 exam a lot of luck. Please do not take L3 lightly. I did not do exceptionally well on it because i underestimated it after my stellar L2 performance. Find something to motivate yourself because you do not want to fail L3 after passing L1 and L2. The complacence is just not worth it. Study hard (do not forget Ethics) and hope for the best.

希望明年的这个时候我也能体验一下通过三级的感觉

祝福cfastone!

ding

hi, i am a new comer, thanks

Nice to come here. It will provide me some experiences to prepare for next year's L3 exam. It seems I should start earlier for L3.

到了现在这个时候,CFA的含金量到底怎么样啊

Nice to come here. It will provide me some experiences to prepare for next year's L3 exam. It seems I should start earlier for L3.

返回列表
上一主题:请教前辈,CFA对你找工作的帮助有多大?
下一主题:ABS债券衍生品问题