上一主题:Schweser IPS Questions
下一主题:Question for previous exam taker
返回列表 发帖

Ethical Question - respect

I have encountered a number of ethics questions in which one employee or a supervisor threatens to fire an employee unless his performance is better or disrespects an employee by insulting him in one way or another and the answer key always says that threatening or disrespecting another employee is morally wrong but does not violate the CFA code or standards… I don’t understand this. The first requirement in the CFA code of ethics states that CFA candidates and charterholders must act with integrity, competence, diligence, RESPECT, and in an ethical manner with the public, clients, prospective clients, employers, EMPLOYEES, and COLLEAGUES in the investment profession.
Does anyone have an explanation for this discrepancy? I’m very confused by this.

Good question. I guess you’re problem stems from knowing the material way too well but not thinking about it.
The point of the ethics material is NOT to make you a better human being, its to make you a better professional.
For example:
If you’re a supervisor and someone under your supervision isn’t performing, you got to tell him or her to come up to speed. Failing to do so would mean the supervisor is not doing his job properly, which is a breach of the Code/Standards. Although the use of harsh words is not necessary in one’s supervisory responsibilities, using bad language will not be a breach.
Let me ask you, don’t you swear sometimes, or at someone sometimes? Does that make you an unethical person?

Anyone else think this is less an actual question and more that someone isn’t getting treated well at work?

Thanks for your responses.
My point is that I think that it is a bizarre question to present us with a case in which someone is treated poorly and then say that the CFA does not see that as a violation of the code and standards… I would be shocked if the CFA gives us a question like this in the item sets.

I have seen questions where they guy yells at employees in a big meeting and they say he violated professionalism standards

Really? In which practice exam did you see that?

i have heard nothing but negative comments on the BSAS

返回列表
上一主题:Schweser IPS Questions
下一主题:Question for previous exam taker