上一主题:Failed as Band 10. Should I retablate, retake or give up?
下一主题:June 2011: Study Process
返回列表 发帖

Series 7 and 63 Licenses

Has anybody studied and passed these exams (7,63,3, and 24) during the same period as their CFA exam prep? I am wondering how much time is required to study and pass these exams. Any advice is appreciated.

You can reasonably pass the Series 7 in 1-2 weeks. Series 63 takes about a week. I don't know about the other two.

I took the 7 and the 66 (the 66 is a combination of the 63 and 65).
I recommend that you buy the books and qbank from Kaplan, read through the books twice, take a couple of practice tests and you should be fine.
I disagree with ohai; if you're working full time, 2 weeks is not enough time to prepare for the 7.

ohai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really? I guess it depends on the person...

Really? BS. 1-2 weeks my ass. Brokerage firms give FA trainees 6 weeks to study and pass.

ohai Wrote:
> Really? I guess it depends on the person...

You must watch a ton of The Big Bang Theory

What are those guys ?

Like I said, it depends on the person. The amount of time a firm gives you is not indicative of the time you actually need to study for the exam. I was given a 120-day window but took the exams in the first couple of weeks. If the average "FA trainee" needs 6 weeks, sure. However, my personal experience is that a fast learner should only need a week or two for each exam.

Anyway, you should know not to blindly apply someone else's benchmark to yourself. Maybe you're much smarter than me and need less time. Conversely, you might be the sort of person who needs more time to learn things. You should make a fair assessment of your own capabilities and plan appropriately. All anyone else can give you is a range of times that they took to study for the test.

Sigh, I can't believe I had to write this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at Friday, August 20, 2010 at 11:16PM by ohai.

ohai Wrote:
> Like I said, it depends on the person. The amount
> of time a firm gives you is not indicative of the
> time you actually need to study for the exam. I
> was given a 120-day window but took the exams in
> the first couple of weeks. If the average "FA
> trainee" needs 6 weeks, sure. However, my personal
> experience is that a fast learner should only need
> a week or two for each exam.
>
> Anyway, you should know not to blindly apply
> someone else's benchmark to yourself. Maybe you're
> much smarter than me and need less time.
> Conversely, you might be the sort of person who
> needs more time to learn things. You should make a
> fair assessment of your own capabilities and plan
> appropriately. All anyone else can give you is a
> range of times that they took to study for the
> test.
>
> Sigh, I can't believe I had to write this.

+ 1

what are these?

Just finished the last bunch of my series exams. All I can say is that I'm thrilled to be done with them (7, 63, 86, 87).

The 7 will take by far the longest to complete. I took about 4 weeks to study for that, but I definitely over did it. I think 2 1/2 weeks was more than enough.

63 was fairly easy, only needed a week.

87 was the most confusing (on a relative basis w/ the others) as there is some disconnect between the study materials and the real exam. Both the study materials and the real exam were somewhat ambiguous at times and the text wasn't written as well as for the 7 & 63. But a week of solid studying is sufficient.

Was exempt from 86 so I can't say much there.

For all the exams I wouldn't recommend using anything other than STC. Exams were fairly close to the study materials for 7 & 63. Def. stay away from investopedia (took their practice exam for the 7 and it was @#$%&). Haven't heard anything good about Kaplan either.

返回列表
上一主题:Failed as Band 10. Should I retablate, retake or give up?
下一主题:June 2011: Study Process